Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The 2nd National Band Competition Results!

All mssbalumni members,

This is the first post by me AFTER the 2nd NBC on 13th July 2008, Sunday.

I shall voice out my most honest opinion and thoughts about this competition without any reserve. I know there are something that I know I shouldn't say as a leader of the band but you all should know me well enough that I am very straightforward person, I don't like to hide or do small little tricks behind people.

2nd National Band Competition.

Yesh. It is over and we all performed really well. Really well, the performance was so great that I would DARE TO SAY it is our BEST performance so far. I have NEVER heard mssba in this kind of standard and as well as sound in any performance before. We are seriously moving a step forward to Lin Sheng's sound. You all really sound round and nice on that day. Intonation was really good and has little problems (there were slight problems but overall was really ok).

I am really happy to see mssbalumni improved SO MUCH within a week, with the ONLY FULL BAND practice on the competition day itself (yesh, on the stage when we were UP THERE PERFORMING!), it is rather unbelievable that we can achieve and play that well. I am surprised and at the same time, VERY HAPPY!

We have gotten a Gold Award for the 2nd National Band Competition. WOW! good job for everyone. a GOLD!!! aren't you all happy? sorry I am not. Actually I shouldn't state the the Medal I should just state the Points.. 81% for what we have played. I am not happy. It is a gold award I know... and It is good we have gotten a Gold but I am just unhappy about the 81%.

We only have 81% for what we have played on Sunday. I am truly sorry, I know I shouldn't say this BUT I am going to be HONEST.

WE WORTH MORE THAN JUST 81%!

* To those who wants to flame me.. PLEASE TAKE NOTE I AM NOT STATING WE ARE BETTER OR LOUSIER THAN ANY BANDS. I am just purely stating we worth more than 81%.

** To EVERYONE: I am not overly confident and think we can achieve Gold with Distinction. I am not aiming at that in the first place. We have gotten a gold and I am contented, but I am just purely expecting a higher % gold. Why? Cause I am overly confident? NO! Apparently, audience comments and reactions plus recording shows we worth a higher percentage. Even though we might not be up to Gold with Distinction standard but there is SOMETHING I can be sure of... WE SERIOUSLY WORTH MORE THAN JUST 81%.

All of us have heard our recording. We all know we deserved more than 81%, we all know that. Actually I should rephrased it like... we already know we have done our best on the very day on stage. We have given our very best. Everyone did.

--

I would like to thank ALL MEMBERS for putting in so much efforts in making the 2nd National Band Competition performance such a wonderful one. We have already achieved what we have wanted. We also have received the very best comments from Lin Sheng and Mr Chiang. We really did well. Personally, I think we have done our best, even though there were unstable tempo but overall we really have played well. As you all know, I HARDLY PRAISED our playing, this time round, I am! This is NO KIDDING, I have never thought mssbalumni can actually sound that good!

I guess we seriously stand the chance for achieving better results, if not there weren't be some little "movements" by "mover" even before we got a chance to stand on stage.

I am perfectly fine and happy with our performances (both march and hymn). We can't please everyone but at least we have pleased majority of the audience in the hall. So what if the 3 judges were not pleased by our playing? We have at least proved to ourselves that we have touched certain people's heart with our performance.

As long as there is a person that is moved by our performance, we should be happy and cherish that moment. It is NOT EASY to bring out the emotions and message in music, it is not easy to be able to play and sing with such beautiful and warm sound at the same time. We did well. We really DID!

mssbalumni members, believe in mssbalumni!

we really have performed well. If we are not appreciated by some people let's be it, we shall slowly prove it to those people.

--

We still have SIBF to go. It is not easy to get into the Open Division of the SIBF and the competitors for SIBF are really VERY VERY STRONG! So we must work even harder!

mssbalumni is not a band that can be "knocked down" that easily!

Let's us Jia You together!

--

For those non mssbalumni members, you all can comment and flame me and say I am a pure sore loser or over confident or whatsoever. I don't mind, you all can say what you all want. I am this confident because I believe in my band, my music director, Lin Sheng, my conductor, Mr Chiang and all my members who are a bunch of great and fantastic music makers! One more thing, I believe in the music we produce as a band. The bonding, the sound and the people we have impressed and touched by our performance on 13th July. I am just purely believing in all these! We just own the "attitude" for producing music with emotions!

--

mssbalumni just ROCKS!!!

SIBF here we come!!!!!!!!!!!

--

fredy chia
maris stella symphonic band alumni
~the legacy continues~

No comments: